Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's Not Delivery, It's Homemade

I got the backing cut and sewn together and all three layers are pin basted.  That means I used every safety pin I could get my hands on in this house to get this thing ready to quilt.  Ran short and had to thread baste a little.  You can never have enough pins.  Lesson learned.


My friend Casey is coming up from the big city today to visit.  Thought I would make pizza even though her preference for toppings is rather boring.  She is a cheese and sauce person.  I didn't know such people existed past the age of 9, but she does.

Made the dough in my bread machine.  It needed more water in the beginning; way too dry.


I added a few tablespoons of warm water and things turned out great.

    All mixed and ready to rise                         8 minutes later                                23 minutes later

The sauce turned out to be tricky.  I needed to get a lot of flavor from it since there would not be any ingredients on it to give it life beyond tomato flavor.   If I could do it over I would leave out the onion powder.  It was too much.  Next time just herbs and garlic.  Casey thought it was good, though, and it did mellow in the refrigerator before I put it on the pizza.
Pizza Sauce
2 Cans Tomato Puree
1 TBSP Tomato Paste
1 tsp parsley
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 1/2 tsp oregano
2 TBSP brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp minced dried onion
Simmer on the stove to meld flavors about 15 minutes and refrigerated until ready to use.

I froze the rest of the tomato paste wrapped in Saran in TBSP servings.  Great for chili or spaghetti sauce another day.


So now the fun part.  Assembly.

Canadian Bacon, Green Pepper, Onion, Pineapple, Feta





Casey approved . . .  of the cheese only one of course.